During the Middle Ages St George’s Chapel was the chapel of the Guild of St George. The effigy of England’s national saint, on a horse, was kept here and carried through the streets annually on 23 April in a procession known as ‘riding the George’. The legend of George killing a dragon is shown in one of the chapel’s windows.
The chapel, enclosed by a carved wooden screen, was reconstructed in 1921 and contains memorials to the men of the Royal Leicestershire Regiment. Here, the battle honours of the Regiment and the names of those killed in the Crimean, South African and two World Wars are recorded and remembered. The regiment we call ‘The Tigers’ has a long and proud history. The tiger in the badge is shown in various ways around the chapel. Today in the modern British Army, the regiment is amalgamated with others. However, the name lives on, not least with the Leicester Rugby Football Club, originally founded by officers of the regiment.