You pass through the screen into the Chancel. The Canons’ stalls are used for the Cathedral Clergy to meet each day to praise God and to pray for City and County, Bishop and Diocese. The other stalls are named after people, some local, who have contributed much to the Christian Church – St Augustine, Simon de Montfort, Handel and Gabriel Newton. On the floor between the stalls is placed the memorial stone to King Richard III. After he was killed at Bosworth field in 1485 his body was buried in the Church of the Greyfriar’s, in St Martin’s parish, and was thought lost until its rediscovery as part of an archaeological dig in 2012.
In the Sanctuary is situated the cathedra – the Bishop’s throne – on which is carved an image of St Martin on horseback. Above the high altar is the Great East Window, erected as a memorial to those who suffered in the First World War. It symbolises the power that rules the universe and the hope for peace. Saints represented are George (England), Joan of Arc (France), Michael (Belgium) and Martin (soldiers and Leicestershire).