The following article appeared in the St Martin’s Parish Magazine in 1920:
“None of us will ever forget St Martin’s Day, 1920. The whole nation was stirred to its depths by the rekindling of the memories of the fallen, and the scenes attending the unveiling of the Cenotaph and the burial of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey stand out as a solemn epilogue to the awful tragedy of the War. We at St Martin’s had services to which came representatives of the whole City. There were many Communicants at the Memorial Celebrations, especially after the Service of Silence and Intercession at 10.45am. For the dedication service at 3.00pm the Church, though admission was practically only by ticket, was thronged, there being hundreds of extra seats provided, and hundreds failed to obtain admission. A great Procession was formed in Town Hall Square, including the Mayor and Corporation, the representatives of public bodies and Officers of the Services and demobilised men, beside the Bishop and some 20 clergy, the choir and troops of the Leicestershire Regiment. The Bishop of the Diocese dedicated the Reredos, the Window, the Tablets and the Sanctuary Candlesticks and preached a noble sermon.
After the late Vicar, Canon Nugee, had read the Roll of Honour, the Tablets were unveiled by General Sir Reginald Hoskins, K.C.B, G.O.C 46th (N. Midland) Division, who afterwards from the Chancel step gave a most impressive short address. The Service closed with the “Last Post” and the “Reveille” sounded by buglers at the West Door and the Chancel. It was a never to be forgotten Service. In the evening at a Thanksgiving Service, when the Church was again packed to the doors, the Choir and Leicester Musical Society gave a fine rendering of Mendelssohn’s Cantata “Lauda Sion”, with a brief address by the Vicar.”